With the spotlight on LGBTQ PRIDE this month we thought we’d reach out to our babes in the community and ask them what they wish they’d known when they first came out! Here’s what they had to say –
- YOU ARE NOT ALONE. If you need support, a safe space, or listening ear reach out! Contact your local LGBT organizations, school counselor, or community groups!
- Always stay true to yourself!
- ALLOW PEOPLE TO SURPRISE YOU! It won’t always be the worst case scenario, believe in the people you love the way you believe in yourself!
- HAVE A PLAN – Once you’re ready, have a plan in place in case things don’t go as planned. Your safety and well being are the MOST IMPORTANT THING. Make sure you have a safe place to stay and get support, no matter how things turn out.
- You are NEVER required to come out! Don’t let anyone pressure you into doing something you’re not ready for! You choose how much of yourself you reveal to others.
- Everyone’s coming out will be different, but the important thing is to make yourself happy! If it takes time for those around you to feel okay with who you are there’s nothing you can do about that. As long as YOU are happy with who you are, you don’t have to wait on anybody!
Looking for more tips and stories about coming out to inspire you? Check out the PRIDE website!
XO – Stellogirls