Susana here girlies! Who else was watching EUROVISION last night !? It was SPECTACULAR.
Let’s be honest, if you’re NOT currently living in Europe, there’s a good chance you’ve never heard about Eurovision. Luckily for me I’ve always managed to surround myself with FABULOUS Europeans who have properly taught me about the yearly singing extravaganza. It’s basically a televised singing competition that includes most European countries and has been airing since 1956! It’s kinda like American Idol meets RuPaul’s Drag Race meets….Hunger Games? LOL, well it’s at least Hunger Games in attitude! THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE WINNER!! Every year is BONKERS and you never know what’s gonna happen!! Each country has one rep who sings a song and lemme tell you, everyone takes this competition REAL SERIOUS.
Let’s start off with some of the highlights and MUST SEE moments from the event! These are MY personal FAVS:
- CROATIA was TWO IN ONE. But like ACTUALLY. The singer sang a DUET on his own. You won’t regret clicking – his talent is kinda mind blowing! Also quick shout out to the first sentence of his song: “There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” Love it!!
- AUSTRIA made me smile uncontrollably!! I don’t know if it’s the One Direction vibes I was feeling or the fact that the singer reminded me of a fresh-faced Justin Timberlake, or maybe it’s that glittery MOON! But I was crushing just a bit and couldn’t wipe the grin off my face!
- NORWAY was LIT LIT LIT! Let’s be real any performance that incorporates a NEON purple mask automatically wins my heart! But for reals, I could totally see myself in a club dancing H A R D to this song! Everything about Norway was high energy, club vibes, electronic and totally ON TREND.
- ITALY stole Katy Perry’s shark moment, but used a GORILLA! The song was dope, but forget about that, tell me HOW can you look away when a GORILLA is WOKE on stage ?! Now close your eyes, ignore the gorilla, listen to the song and tell me you’re NOT drooling when you hear that Italian accent singing!
- ROMANIA YODELED …. I repeat, ROMANIA YODELED. If you had asked me last week if I was down with some electronic yodelling business I woulda been like girl, WHAT? But IDK GIRLS. Today I am FEELING IT! It’s my new jam, don’t @ me!
- MOLDOVA has a leg issue and it’s contagious! I’m getting those Bruno Mars feels but with a European twist! I LOVE this song, the display of clearly highly talented artists and SERIOUSLY HILARIOUS dance moves which kept me laughing for the entirety of the song! I swear I couldn’t help but start moving my right foot!
But WHO WON?!
The WINNER of the show and my personal FAV – Salvador Sobral of PORTUGAL. Without the distraction of backup dancers, band members or fire and lights on stage, my friends quickly got bored, moved to their phones and labeled Salvador as “BORING”.
But I was completely mesmerized. I ignored their chatter, leaning towards the screen, for the first time I stopping thinking, I just sat still and watched his truly mesmerizing performance. He felt like magic.
It was quite refreshing, after watching the BOMBASTIC performances of the night to see Salvador alone on stage, in an oversized suit with those vulnerable eyes. I couldn’t understand the lyrics because I don’t speak Portuguese but I didn’t need to. Watching the music flow out of him, as though he couldn’t help himself, the hair on my body stood up straight and I felt his pain.
I looked up the lyrics to his song “Amer Pelos Dois,” which tells the story of a lost love that Salvador continues to search for. I think that’s a true artist, one who can make you feel him without explanation.
I’m truly inspired and moved by Salvador and I’m happy for PORTUGAL that they won! I believe this song will go down as a modern classic and personally I’ve already added it to my daily playlist!
What about you? WHO WAS YOUR FAV?
See ya next year EUROVISON!