UUUUUUUHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGG. Can I just get real REAL RN? Menstrual cramps are STILL THE WORST. I’ve spent the whole day curled up in the fetal position cursing all those women in tampon commercials that are running around on beaches, laughing like it’s the best day of their lives, being incredibly EXTRA! LIES people, straight up LIES!
IDK about you but I happen to get really, really, really, REALLY bad cramps. I don’t feel like I’m over exaggerating when I say the cramps I experience would kill a man. Kill him dead. It sucks because most of my girl friends don’t get bad cramps like me and there are even a lucky few that don’t get them AT ALL. How is that fair?
Luckily the INTERNET EXISTS and whenever the cramps hit I can google new ways to help ease the suffering!
If you’re under the covers like me RN, hating EVERYONE and feeling like complete #$%# read these five tips below to help ease your pain.
- HOT. WATER. BOTTLE. It’s a classic for a reason, but my hot water bottle and I are practically besties, IDK what my life even was before I bought one. I just curl around my heating buddy and try to slowly BREATHE through it while watching every single RomCom Netflix has to offer. You can also try a heating pad or even a hot bath/shower!
- Painkillers, that’s what they’re there for! I somehow ALWAYS FORGET that I can take Advil or Midol, it’s never my first move but it actually ALWAYS helps ease the cramps up a little bit. Follow the bottle’s instructions, take it with food, and keep track of how many you take in a day!
- Comfort Foods, they’re called that for a reason. Whenever my period comes around I always make sure my fridge is stocked with Ben & Jerry’s Strawberry Cheesecake. And YES, it HAS to be this flavor. I truly believe strawberry ice cream was specifically made for the first day of your period.
- Get Moving. Yeah, I know getting out of the bed is THE LAST thing you want to do when cramps strike but you know what, exercise is actually a GREAT home remedy. Since you’re generally feeling like a pregnant cat with a litter of 6 kittens, try something that doesn’t have you jumping around too much. My GO TO is slow walking on the treadmill while binging on reality tv.
- Kick Caffeine. This one’s hard cus it requires a little bit of planning. The week before your period try avoiding coffee and caffeine as much as possible! Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor – it makes the blood vessels constrict or whatever. Which is why it MAY cause the vessels that feed your uterus to tighten more than in non-coffee drinkers. Try tea instead, the hot herbal drink might also help ease some of the pain!
Truth is, women with cramps are straight up WARRIORS. Breathe through the pain and RIDE. IT. OUT. We got this 😉
What are your go-to solutions for dealing with cramps?
XOXO – Justine